Saturday, February 1, 2014

The End of an Era

Skyward Sword. I started it and thought "Holy crap! This is the best Zelda game since Link's Awakening!" Then I kept playing. And kept playing. And kept playing. Zelda games have terrible pacing. They should work on that!

I'm pretty sure that game was at least twice as hard as the other zelda games I've played. Granted, that's not saying much, but it was jarring to have to repeat boss fights two or three times in order to beat them. I'm inclined to say that it would be an improvement, but given the pacing issues of the franchise, potentially dragging things out isn't really playing to your strengths. On the other hand, of course: the difficulty did mean I had to actually use my shield, rather than going with an all-out suicide run attack strategy in every situation.

I loved some of the aesthetics in this game - if I could wear Skyloft denizens' clothes every day of my life, I think I'd be a pretty happy human.

This isn't so much an issue with Skyward Sword in particular, but... Seriously. Cut it out with the effeminate people with masculine bodies being played for laughs or villainy. It's extremely tired and painful. While we're at it, maybe you could work on giving women more agency in the story? I know that Zelda was crucial to Skyward Sword - although that's somewhat a departure from the standard for the franchise - but it was really frustrating how all women are demure and cute by default. I just. When I played this game it was incredibly apparent which characters were played as "normal" and which characters were played as funny, and that frustrated me.

I dunno. I think I might just be... Done with Zelda games in general. All the elements in their stories and worlds fit too strongly into the various patterns, and it's just... Eh. I don't really care any more, and it's a 60+ hour time commitment for something I no longer care about. So I guess I give up on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment